Money and spending it wisely can be major dictators of the way we live our lives. Paper money is becoming less common to carry, so we have credit cards. But, the average credit card debt in U.S. households stands at more than $15,000, according to Federal Reserve statistics. Another cash alternative is a debit card. Debit cards are not only free to use but they are also convenient and secure. Debit cards are an option that offers more benefits and less risk. Here are some of the benefits of using a debit card:
1. Convenience: You don’t need to worry about having the right amount of cash, writing a paper check, or pay off a credit card bill later.
2. Limits spending: When the account your card is linked to hits zero, you can’t spend anymore. This is always a good policy in the age of consumerism we live in. You won’t rack up debt and bills because you are only spending money that you have.
3. Security: It is safer to carry around one piece of plastic than a couple of $100 bills. Your money is guarded by a secret pin code and even if it is stolen, you can cancel the card. With cash, you’ll likely never be tracked down.
4. Easily get cash: Many stores allow you to receive ‘Cash Back’ with a purchase or you can use your debit card as an ATM card to get cash quickly.
5. Easy to get: With a debit card that is linked to your account, you don’t need to complete a lengthy application and approval process.
If you are interested in a debit card to link with your checking account, MBT Bank has a great option. We offer the Ultra Checking Account that offers a free debit card to use when you complete at least 10 transactions per month. We keep your money secure while it collects great interest.
The Ultra Checking Account also allows you to enjoy the benefits of electronic banking such as a free monthly eStatement and free bill pay. The Ultra Checking Account at MBT Bank is a convenient way to earn interest the money in your checking account. Speak with one of our personal bankers about setting one up today.